Wait Wait...don't tell me!

I'm about to run the risk of sounding possibly like a huge nerd, but i really like listening to NPR.  Yes, it's true.  It actually started a long time ago, although very faint, when my family would take long road trips and my dad would listen to "Car Talk."   I knew nothing about cars then, and the most i know how to do to my car now is maaaaaybe change a tire.  But the show's hosts, Tom and Ray Magliozzi (also known as Click and Clack) are hilarious and have the BEST Boston accents EVER, which is the only reason i love it, and is a totally justifiable reason in my mind.



Once i moved to Austin, i liked listening to the stories and interviews that they play during rush hour as i would drive home from work or something.  Also, during the day they play a lot of local music too, which i dig.


Lastly, and what turned my like of NPR into a love-fest, is the program "Wait Wait...don't tell me!"  Now, i have to give credit to my sister, Laura, because she is the one who shared this treasure with me.  The best way to describe it:  a weekly news quiz played by comedians with random listeners and "celebrities" who call in to play the games.  The list of guests range from A-list actors to famous scientists to politicians.  The prize?  CARL KASSEL'S VOICE ON YOUR ANSWERING MACHINE.  This is huge, i promise.  And i just have to say, i'm kind of amazing at the Listener's Limerick game, so i plan on winning someday.  Even if i'm by myself, i laugh out loud every time i listen.  You should go listen to it right now (you can download the podcasts on itunes).  Do it, and thank me later.  I insist on being demanding.


3 comments

  1. Don't worry, if listening to NPR makes you a nerd then I am one with you! Brandon and I listen to it all the time; especially Car Talk and Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me..

    Hope you and David are doing well : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) same here about click and clack. Every sunday after church... its like home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, NPR and click and clack listeners are definately more common than we all think; no nerdiness there. Erick and I have listened so much when we were younger that we like to quote the wordplay on the credits:

    "such as statistician Marge Innovera, meteorologist Claudio Vernight, optometric firm C.F. Eye Care, and law firm Dewey, Cheetham and Howe (Do we cheat 'em and how)."

    ReplyDelete