A new normal

I'll just pick up from last time and update y'all on my dad.  Prayers were definitely answered!  The surgery went smoothly and ALL the cancer was removed, which was such a relief to hear.  The doctors actually found that all of the samples they took were non-cancerous, which means that all of the cancer was contained in the tumor they removed back at the biopsy.  This is better news than we expected!  The downside was that they removed more of his voice box than we originally expected.  Right now he can only whisper, but the doctors said that with speech therapy and time to heal, his voice will get stronger. It won't be like it was before...quieter, raspier...but it will be his new "normal."  Hearing his voice at all is good enough for me.  This means I can still hear him call me "angel baby" when I talk to him on the phone, or hear him pray for our family when we're together.  It's a great new kind of normal.

David and I are settling into our own new kind of normal.  He is finished with all of his pharmacy licensing exams (WOOHOO!!) and starting full time at work, while my nights are filled with hours of reading as grad school is getting into the full swing of things.  Our normal seems to change year to year, even month to month.  This time six months ago I was the one working and David was in school.  Either way, it's always been good and i'm thankful for where we are in life.  

It's easy to complain about day to day things (like reading 1000 pages of journal articles for class every day).  Instead my focus should be on all that we've been blessed with.  We are blessed with great families.  Blessed by being here in Augusta and the new friends we've met.  Blessed by old friends.  Blessed by our church.  Blessed by David's great job.  Blessed with a great school.  Blessed with provisions.  Blessed even by the rain.

Every day is a new mercy.

1 comment